Home » Achilles Tendonitis
Definition: A traumatic or degenerative condition of the conjoined tendon of the calf muscle at or above its attachment to the heel.
- Lack of Achilles tendon flexibility
- Uphill walking, hiking or climbing
- Foot imbalances such as flat or high arch feet may be a predisposing problem.
- Localized pain and swelling along the tendon.
- Pain when squeezing the tendon.
- Calf stretching exercises before and after activities
- Temporary heel lift in shoe or boot to relax the tendon
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Arch supports if you have flat feet
- Use of night splint to stretch the tendon
- Avoidance of hills
- Possible physical therapy if symptoms fail to improve
- Immobilization in a cast if symptoms fail to improve
- Flexibility exercises for the calves
- If you have a particular foot deformity compensate by wearing an arch support
- Slowly build up to hill climbing
Click the links below to find out more.